A family member of mine recently went on vacation and turned off their computer, something they normally do not do, upon returning home it would not turn on and now returns a black screen with the error message in that is shown the code block below. Generally friends and family come to me for help with computers and I have no problem, however this time I am a bit stumped. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Windows Boot Manager
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
- Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
- Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
- Click "repair your computer."
If you don't have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.
Before going to this error message it briefly flashes the Windows loading screen. I have been able to confirm through the Windows RE Command Line and the dir command that the C: drive is accessible and likely is just suffering a bootup issue.
I have tried:
- Launching the repair process discussed in the error message three times however each time it requires a restart and then returns to the same error message.
- Changing the boot order to be hard drive first
- Getting into safe mode: safe mode results in same error message
- I have checked to make sure the BCD (bcdedit, Boot Configuration Data) is still intact as per https://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH160475
I plan to try (but would like additional comments on):
- sfc /scannow; requires a restart and thus will likely result in the error message again
- A memory scan
- Bootrec as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392#method1
- Swapping IDE cables/ports
- Resetting the BIOS
I noticed others with similar issues around the web are dual-booting however this machine is not setup in a dual-boot environment. Additionally at one point this error message supposedly showed up before I started working on the computer:
The instruction at 0xfbe2584d referenced memory at 0x00000008. The memory could not be read.
As previously stated any additional suggestions or words of advice would be greatly appreciated.