Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Periodically I get a window with no title that pops up on my Windows 7 Pro desktop, seen here with the menu it offers after I right-click on it:

enter image description here

It appears to be related to Unicode and IME.

What is this? What are the likely ways I am making it pop up? Do I want it? (I don't think so since I've never been able to make it do anything for me.) How do I make it go away after it has popped up?

Update: I think it is browser-related. My browser (chrome) just burped and appeared to reload most of its open tabs, and the mystery window is gone now. I'd still like to know what the heck it is.

share|improve this question
The handwriting input panel, perhaps? Do you use any tablets or digitisers? – Indrek Sep 4 '12 at 20:53
No weird peripherals except a finger print reader that does nothing when I swipe it. – David Mackintosh Sep 4 '12 at 20:58
Google Desktop... but without a title?! – w3dk Sep 4 '12 at 21:06
Google Desktop is not installed. – David Mackintosh Sep 5 '12 at 11:04
Did anyone ever figure out what this is? I've currently got an instance on my screen. – StarNamer Mar 4 '14 at 14:58

To find out, run Process Hacker (see: Process Hacker downloads, ignore banner add, choose "Installer). Place rodent (mouse) cursor over the "Find Window" icon (just to the right of the "System Information" button), hold mouse button, then move mouse over the window you're wondering about, and release mouse button. See which process is selected by Process Hacker.

Alternate process: If you have Process Explorer installed, and have agreed to its EULA, go to File menu, and choose "Show Details for all processes". Then perform a similar dragging action with the "Find window's process" icon, which is just to the right of the binoculars icon. Process Explorer may be obtained from TechNet: Process Explorer.

(The programs are rather similar, with Process Explorer being more well known due to its primary distributor. Process Hacker's home page mentions some of its advantages over Process Explorer.)

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

protected by Community Nov 23 '15 at 14:39

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .