Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Laptop: replace optical drive with an SSD or other hard disk. Is it possible?

My searching skills are eluding me. For my laptop, if I want to remove my CDROM drive and physically put another hdd there, what is that hardware called? I searched for a hdd CDROM bay adapter but I didn't get anything.

Can anybody point me to what I'm after? Also, is this laptop make/model generic hardware?

Thanks in advance!

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007, Kez, Indrek, Randolph West, KronoS Sep 9 '12 at 18:11

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Many laptops have removable CDROM drives and there are several firms making caddies which fit in the CDROM slot but contain a standard 2½ inch drive.

However laptop form factors are not standardised. You will need one specifically for your model of laptop. And that is assuming your model has a removable optical bay.

share|improve this answer

NewModeUS produces a caddy which will allow you to put a hard drive into your cdrom slot. They also have a guide to installing a new hard drive.

share|improve this answer

Duct tape.

Most hard drives have on the label a warning indicating not to cover a specific hole. Obey that warning.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .