I made the mistake of installing the browser choice app/update on one of my PCs and now, it cannot be uninstalled. I cannot uninstall the update and I can't even uninstall the "Metro" app it installs.
I have found this tutorial for Windows 7 online but I haven't found any feedback to tell if it really works:
To uninstall KB 976002:
- Go to C:\Windows\Servicing\Packages
- Find the two .mum files relating to KB 976002
- Take ownership of them, give yourself full control
- Open Control Panel, programs, Installed Updates
- Find KB 976002 and right click, Uninstall is not available. Important: Do not close this window, to avoid re-verification of the checksum of the .mum files.
- Go back to the two .mum files for 976002. Edit them both with notepad, change Permanance=”Permanent” to Permanence=”Removable”
- Go back to the Installed updates list, hit F5, right click KB 976002. Uninstall is now available.
- Uninstall the update (if you want to be double-careful, monitor with sysinternals process monitor).
- Reinstate the two keys which the uninstall removes [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRunOnce] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRunOnceEx]
- Reboot the PC
- Run the 947821 update to verify the component store
- Go to WU, check for updates, hide the 976002 update
Also I cannot find any related .mum files.
Does anybody know which mum files I should edit, if this method makes sense. Or does anybody have an alternative way of removing the update?