For years I have been cloning the main drive on my MacBooks to make bootable external drives. This way I have a (reasonably) up-to-date, bootable, portable external drive that I can plug into any mac and boot off of for what reason (e.g., the main drive failed and I need to restore).
Yesterday, this failed with the error given in the title.
The configuration and procedure: A MacBook Pro (early 2011) with 8 GB RAM, Lion (server). The main drive is 750 GB
This is a pretty standard MacBrook Pro configuration.
The external drive is a 2 TB LaCie. The hookup is Firewire 800. The LaCie is partitioned into 2 partitions: 1. Boot => 750 GB 2. Data RAID Set Backup => 1.25 TB
Everybody is formatted HFS+
The LaCie was formatted using SoftRaid 4.3.3
- Reboot and press the option key to get list of bootable devices.
- Choose to boot off the Lion recovery disk
- Choose to enter into Disk Utility
- Use "Restore" on MacIntosh HD. MacIntosh HD is source and "Boot" is the destination.
- Hit Restore. And in this case get the above error.
Anybody else seeing this? I googled around and saw one case where someone saw this error - but they were working with Boot Camp (so that is a difference) and moreover I'm not sure that the question that was asked was actually answered.