Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to use some console admin tools on Windows 7 and I am used to Linux/Unix. So, in Linux I would type something like this

command -param1 -param2 wlan0

and the command would do something on wireless interface.

What is the name for wifi interface on windows 7? What would such command look like?

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Look at the netsh command (start with netsh /? and have a look at this url : ). for wifi the context is wlan as in : netsh wlan show all

share|improve this answer
Does this mean than wlan0 in linux is the same as wlan on windows? – JoeM Sep 13 '12 at 10:13
no, wlan is a category, a windows adapter is named something like : " Connexion réseau sans fil". use : netsh wlan show interfaces to get the names of the network cards. you can rename them btw. – Michel Sep 13 '12 at 10:21
notice netsh behaves like a shell : type "netsh" <CR> then type wlan <CR> then type help <CR> – Michel Sep 13 '12 at 10:24

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .