Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am familiar with inserting an ASCII character into a text document by using 'Alt+ASCII code' on the NumPad keys (e.g. Alt+130 inserts an é character).

Is there a similar way to insert a Unicode character via the keyboard using the unicode value given in Windows Character Map?

alt text

share|improve this question
See also "How do you type Unicode characters using hexadecimal codes?" at… – Arjan Sep 27 '09 at 11:39
up vote 56 down vote accepted

According John D. Cook there are 3 ways:

  1. In Microsoft Word you can insert Unicode characters by typing the hex value of the character then typing Alt-x. You can also see the Unicode value of a character by placing the cursor immediately after the character and pressing Alt-x. This also works in applications that use the Windows rich edit control such as WordPad and Outlook.
  2. Another approach which works with more applications is as follows. First create a registry key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Input Method\EnableHexNumpad of type REG_SZ called EnableHexNumpad, set its value to 1, and reboot. Then you can enter Unicode symbols by holding down the Alt key and typing the plus sign on the numeric keypad followed by the character value. When you release the Alt key, the symbol will appear. This approach worked with most applications I tried, including Firefox and Safari, but did not with Internet Explorer.
  3. Another option is to install the UnicodeInput utility. This worked with every application I tried, including Internet Explorer. Once installed, the window below pops up whenever you hold down the Alt key and type the plus sign on the numeric keypad. Type the numeric value of the character in the box, click the Send button, and the character will be inserted into the window that had focus when you clicked Alt-plus.

I would go for the second option because it integrates nicely with your current usage.

share|improve this answer
Option 2 works great, thanks. BTW, the location of the new string key was HKCU/Control Panel/Input Method/EnableHexNumpad – pelms Sep 27 '09 at 9:08

If you're using Chrome or Safari, you can open up the console with Ctrl+Shift+I (or Cmd+Alt+I on Mac) and type copy('\uNNNN') – where the NNNN is the Unicode code after the +:

Right-to-Left Override U+202E copy('\u202e')

You can do that with Firefox, too, but you'll need Firebug.

Update (April 11, 2015): It works fine in Firefox's built-in console, too.

share|improve this answer
It doesn't seem to be working. Is my Google Chrome too new? I am using version 25. Typing copy('\u202e') and pressing Enter at Console prompt returns undefined. Could it be that they have changed it? – sammyg Mar 16 '13 at 23:32
@Sammy It works, the character gets copied to the clipboard, you can paste it afterwards. – leonbloy May 15 '13 at 20:42
On newer versions of Chrome, you can also press F12 instead of Ctrl+Shift+I – radomaj Mar 12 '14 at 9:36
Although you'll probably want to copy the character anyway, copy() is technically not necessary: 'There\'s no \u260E on the \u263E, but there may be a \u26C4.' "There's no ☎ on the ☾, but there may be a ⛄." – basic6 May 1 '14 at 13:12
Note, that this will not work for emoji out of the box. That’s because Javascript uses UTF-16 and splits the Unicode characters outside the Basic Multilingual Plane in twice. In this case you need the notation copy('\u{1F4A9}'). See this post for technical details. – Boldewyn Sep 25 '15 at 11:43

On Windows hit WIN + R (run), type charmap and do search in UNICODE field. it actually do solve my problem, whereas ALT + code didn't help (link).

share|improve this answer

I will shamelessly plug a little tool I wrote for entering symbols in Windows as I find any solution usually presented too cumbersome for daily frequent use. My personal use case is typing the Swedish å for example on an international US keyboard without having to switch layouts.

It allows the entering of unicode characters through a popup window not dissimilar to how this works in Apple OS X.

See for details, it's free and open source, but must (currently) be built, if there is sufficient interest I could add a pre-built version.

The tool can be configured per key, e.g. by copy/pasting symbols once from a site such as It comes preconfigured with various symbols.

share|improve this answer

If you're using Firefox, you can also install the Unicode Input Tool/Converter add-on.

share|improve this answer

John D. Cook's solutions didn't work for me, as my employer has locked down the registry. I discovered that in Windows 7 and above, the Segoe UI Symbol font contains representations of most if not all of the Unicode characters in numeric order. If you can find a Unicode symbol meeting your needs (perhaps by browsing through the Unicode article in Wikipedia), note its Unicode number (hex value). Then, back in Word, choose Insert Symbol | More Symbols from the ribbon, select the Segoe UI Symbol font, and scroll through the screens looking for that hex value in the character code box.

share|improve this answer

The easiest way: The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator. This is an official Microsoft solution. Functionality is similar like Ukelele for OS X.

Download and instructions:

share|improve this answer
By "easiest", you must mean "easiest to use on an ongoing basis in which you're free to map keys to characters in whatever way you prefer", not "with the least amount of initial effort". I have used the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, and while it works well, it's not for casual users. – Alan Jul 17 '15 at 3:25

Firefox: While holding control+shift, enter u followed by the ordinal of the unicode character. That will insert it, without needing to install an addon.

share|improve this answer
What version/OS? This doesn't work for me with FF38.1 – Scribblemacher May 4 at 12:00

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .