Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently found myself having to describe a problem that happens when you middle mouse click and drag the mouse up/down/left/right to scroll, as opposed to actually spinning the mousewheel.

Is there a common-ish one or two word phrase that differentiates the two without having to explain it? Something like "click-scrolling" vs "spin-scrolling"?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted


"Auto-scrolling is a feature that can be found in most mainstream modern applications. Pressing the middle mouse button transfers the application into the auto-scrolling mode. In this mode, moving the mouse down starts scrolling down the contents even when the mouse is no longer moving. The scroll speed depends on the distance between the current mouse location and the mouse press location. This works for all four directions (up, down, left, right)."


share|improve this answer
Exactly what I was looking for, cheers. – carpat Sep 19 '12 at 20:01

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .