Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Look at the example image taken from YouTube

When I watch video file or listen to audio file, there is always a horizontal like which shows how much video/audio has been cached as well as my current location in video/audio.

What is this line called in plain English?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Xavierjazz, soandos, Sathya Sep 25 '12 at 16:20

Questions on Super User are expected to relate to computer software or computer hardware within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

up vote 1 down vote accepted

You are only going to get opinions with your question. There is no 'set' word, it's just how different people know it / refer to it.

Personally, a progress bar or timeline. I assume timeline would be more accurate of the two.

You may want to ask as this is for English.

share|improve this answer

The most common term for it that I know of is seek bar, though some media players (like VLC) call it track slider.

In audio/video editing terminology, the word used for it is timeline. A few related terms include the playhead, which is the symbol that marks your current position on the timeline, and scrubbing, which refers to moving the playhead manually across the timeline.

share|improve this answer
I've always heard it called the seek bar. – SaintWacko Sep 25 '12 at 13:18

I have heard it called a "Buffering Bar" on many occasions.

Dave is right though in saying that it will vary from person to person.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.