Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I use the Anthy IME with ibus. I know that I can switch a word to Katakana with the F7 key but when I do this, any long vowels are kept as two regular syllable katakanas. That is, わあ (waa -- this is not a real word as far as I know) would be converted to ワア. I need to replace the ア by the lengthening mark which looks similar to a hyphen. How to do this?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Use the hyphen for the prolonged sound mark. In your case you would type "wa-". Even if you don't use the Katakana mode, on pressing space the hyphen is replaced by the "ー".

share|improve this answer
Does it really replace anything? I can't see much of a difference between ー and ー, but both look at least close enough. – Erik Sep 26 '12 at 17:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.