Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I use the Anthy IME with ibus. I know that I can switch a word to Katakana with the F7 key but when I do this, any long vowels are kept as two regular syllable katakanas. That is, わあ (waa -- this is not a real word as far as I know) would be converted to ワア. I need to replace the ア by the lengthening mark which looks similar to a hyphen. How to do this?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Use the hyphen for the prolonged sound mark. In your case you would type "wa-". Even if you don't use the Katakana mode, on pressing space the hyphen is replaced by the "ー".

share|improve this answer
Does it really replace anything? I can't see much of a difference between ー and ー, but both look at least close enough. – Erik Sep 26 '12 at 17:38

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .