Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

On linux at least, and I think windows/dos shell too you can use > to "pipe" output into a file. Something like:

cat myfile.txt > mightAsWellCP.txt

What is that piece of syntax sugar called? This is a "pipe": | so what do we call the > and < (and << and >> while were at it.)

share|improve this question
Redirect maybe? – BrianAdkins Sep 28 '12 at 0:50
@BrianAdkins write this up as an answer – soandos Sep 28 '12 at 0:58
"Piping" refers to using the output of one program as the input of another. > doesn't pipe output; it redirects it. As for what the symbols are called, I usually call them "less-than" and "greater-than", even though that's not how they're being used. (Or in print, I just call them < and >.) – Keith Thompson Sep 28 '12 at 1:02
@BrianAdkins is correct - see – Kelvin Sep 28 '12 at 1:08
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I usually refer to all four variations (< << > >>) as a "redirect" when speaking to folks that I know will understand.

share|improve this answer

They're symbols for redirection of input/output.
Quick runthrough on the differences between the redirection syntax commands

share|improve this answer

When speaking a command-line, I usually pronounce the symbols by their function.

  • > "output to"
  • >> "append to"
  • < "input from"
  • | "pipe"

So when reading your example out loud:

cat myfile.txt > mightAsWellCP.txt

I would pronounce as "cat myfile dot T X T output to might as well C P dot T X T".

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .