Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a linux machine (Sabayon 13 KDE) that I'd like to be able to access remotely for SSH, FTP, HTTP, and so forth. I signed up for Dynamic DNS with No-IP.com, but this isn't adequate because I am on a college campus network, behind an NAT, and don't have permission to access the router to set up port forwarding. I don't know if the campus routers support UPnP or NAT-PMP but I doubt it.

Anyways, I was wondering if there was a way to get around this using a VPN. I know that a VPN would allow me to, for instance, access my linux box from my laptop if I had the VPN software installed on both machines. But I'd like to be able to access my linux box from any computer, without having to install software. Or at the very least be able to access the HTTP part that way. And while I know that many VPN services offer web interfaces for file transfer, etc., I'd rather be able to access my linux box using regular FTP and SSH client software.

Anyways, is this something you can do with a VPN? Or is there a way to chain a VPN with Dynamic DNS somehow? I looked at the website for Hamachi VPN, but it described all the features in nontechnical terms, so I wasn't able to figure out these questions and I'd prefer to know before creating an account.

share|improve this question
Does your campus have a VPN service? Many collages have a VPN set up for students to be able to access resources inside the campus LAN. Just try vpn.collagename.edu and see if a computer exists. If so, try using your campus username and password to log in. –  Scott Chamberlain Sep 28 '12 at 13:40

2 Answers 2

There's a few options. Pagekite sounds the most simple and direct - it does everything you ask for and is publically accessible

You might be able to go with some form of reverse ssh and tunnel everything through that. You'd need to establish the connection from the campus network to your home connection (where you'd need to set up port forwarding and such), so you'd need a ssh server on the other side as well.

Some implementations of IPV6 might work as well - i've had good luck with with gogo6's freenet6 tunnel broker and I believe the udp method in the past. That should give you full access from another ipv6 enabled box, or through a suitable proxy bridging the two protocols.

Hamachi sets up a VPN, and does most of the configuration - its good for a small localish net.

You may have other options other than that - perhaps set up a openvpn server at home, and connect to that from the university box.

share|improve this answer

I'd buy a fix IP for your house, port forwaring in your router and do everything with ssh/ sftp from outside.

0 hassle, very portable, very secure.

share|improve this answer
To quote the original question "this isn't adequate because I am on a college campus network, behind an NAT, and don't have permission to access the router to set up port forwarding." how is he supposed to do your solution? –  Scott Chamberlain Sep 28 '12 at 13:16
I think your reading was not correct; I have said buying an IP for his house and port forwarding in "his" router (not in the campus router). I think you should take your -1 back. –  Pat Sep 28 '12 at 13:32
What house, he lives in a campus dorm. Or are you revering to his parent's house? It won't let me remove the -1 until the answer has a edit performed. Please clarify your answer and I will gladly remove the -1. –  Scott Chamberlain Sep 28 '12 at 13:34
as far as I understand his in campus and want's to acces hiss home server. I think before to downgrade anyone in life you should know better. –  Pat Sep 28 '12 at 13:38
Re-read the question, you have it backwards. He wants to know how to get to his computer that is on the campus network when he is off campus. –  Scott Chamberlain Sep 28 '12 at 13:40

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.