Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My version of Chrome has just upgraded to version 22 and the spanner (or wrench) menu button has changed to three horizontal lines!?

enter image description here

This is going to be very confusing for all those reading documentation that refers to a "spanner menu".

So, what do I now call the "spanner" menu that is no longer a "spanner"?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

It is called the Chrome menu (according to Google). Picture from the site:

Click the Chrome menu enter image description here on the browser toolbar

share|improve this answer
text is indexed by search engines, images are not ;) (also the jpeg artifacts were kinda bugging me...) – Sathya Sep 28 '12 at 14:12

The three bars are also known as Hamburger Navigation - presumably since they (very) loosely resemble a hamburger!


share|improve this answer
I believe "hamburger navigation" refers to the stacking panels as presented in the question you've linked, not the icon itself. – gronostaj Oct 27 '13 at 13:33
It might be so originally, but I'm certainly not the only one to interpret the icon that way: (ignoring any random baby ultrasound results!) – yochannah Oct 27 '13 at 13:49

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .