Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a virtual machine with OS X on a Windows PC. Is there a utility software to install on OS X that will simulate the PC keyboard layout, especially for typing {, }, [, @. etc?

share|improve this question
Had a look at the DoubleCommand utility? – Ben Lavender Sep 29 '12 at 12:45
yes , but it does not seem to work :( – mLar Sep 29 '12 at 13:02
Can you elaborate a bit? I mean, I don't know what you mean by simulating { and }, since PC and Mac keyboards both have those, and in the same positions even. Option, Command and Window keys on the other hand... – Mr Lister Sep 29 '12 at 13:17
actually, the problem is when I type "{" on my pc keyboard, I get the "'" character on the mac, what I am looking for is a utility for mac OS that would remap the keyboard so I could type just like a PC keyBoard – mLar Sep 29 '12 at 13:25
I found another solution :… to create a custom keyboard layout and place it in /Library/Keyboard Layouts – mLar Sep 30 '12 at 13:07
up vote 1 down vote accepted

First thing, make sure you're using a correct keyboard layout. Unless you know what you're doing, and actually use languages other than English, select "U.S. English" and not International PC or similar.

Secondly, I suggest KeyRemap4MacBook. It has million of different tweaks and adjustments that you can enable to customize your keyboard, some of them make a life with PC keyboard on a Mac bearable.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
You can also add your own remappings by creating a private.xml. The predefined mappings and keycode constants are listed in the source code. – user495470 Sep 29 '12 at 14:52

I found this tool that lets you create custom keyboard layouts for MAC OS X , it worked fine for me

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .