Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

At my home I have a LAN with very fast internet (120Mbit/s). On my roof I installed a Wi-Fi access point to get good Wi-Fi around my house. About 200meters (600feet) from me a friend lives and I want to give him access to my LAN. He also has a LAN with printers, media players, etc.

How would I connect his LAN to mine?

I have done a test. I have a spare Wi-Fi router which I can configure for Client Mode and also Bridge Mode.

In Bridge Mode I managed to configure it to connect to my access point. The laptop connected to the spare Wi-Fi router nicely, got an IP address from my LAN, and an internet connection was possible but was extremely slow. Took about 1 minute to just open the Google search page.

In Client Mode I could not get anything.

My question is, is Bridge Mode the way to go? Did I maybe misconfigure something? Or should I try harder to get Client Mode working?

My Wi-Fi access point is simply in AP mode. Is there some other setting that would be better to use for a Point to Point connection? If I can't use my own Wi-Fi access point that's no problem.

share|improve this question
You have 600 foot range of WiFi, why does he not just access your wifi like you would? – user88311 Oct 2 '12 at 12:04
Do both WiFi devices support WDS? If not, why not use routing rather than bridging? – David Schwartz Oct 2 '12 at 12:22

Perhaps your friend could consider a high gain aerial, particularly a focused aerial (tube) or a powerful WAGI type. This could easily provide the required signal strength at a range of 600'. You might need to choose the channel carefully though!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.