Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My old HP adapter burned out and it will take 2 weeks for me to get a new one. In the meantime, I borrowed a HP cable from a friend.

Is it possible to use a different HP adapter in the mean time? The specs they have are a bit different.

Old one:

  • Input: 100-240V, 1.7A, 50-60Hz
  • Output: 18.5V, 3.5A, 65W

New one:

  • Input: 100-240V, 1.5A, 50-60Hz
  • Output: 19V, 4.74A, 90W
share|improve this question
It will work good as its output is not less than your old one. If the output would be less than your original one then it could be a problem but in this case this will work without problem IIRC. – avirk Oct 6 '12 at 14:08

Since the maximum power output of the new charger is actually greater, you won't have any problems in that department.

The difference between the voltages (18.5V and 19V) is minimal. The majority of recent HP laptops are designed to work at 18.5V, 19V and even 19.5V.

Anyway, your laptop should have a list of compatible chargers the becomes visible if you remove the battery.

For example, the charger compatible with a DV7 2277CL are:

  • 18.5V 3.5A
  • 18.5V 6.5A
  • 19.0V 4.74A
  • 19.5V 4.62A
share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .