In Windows' Disk Management the option Delete Partition is dimmed out:
The article How to Partition an SD Card in Windows XP talks about using "a Windows enabler program" which sound rather dubious to me.
I have tried to change from “Optimize for quick removal” to “Optimize for performance”. The option to format as NTFS appeared, but the Delete Partition option is still dimmed out.
- Windows XP 64-bit
- SD card reader: USB 2.0 device, LogiLink® CR0005C Cardreader 3,5' USB 2.0 intern 54-in-1 mit USB Front
- Kingston 16 GB SDHC card, speed class 4. (It could be formatted as FAT32 and successfully used in a 4 GB ReadyBoost setup (Windows 7).)
I have also tried on different versions of Windows and with different cards with the same result:
- Kingston 4 GB SDHC card, speed class 4 (the one shown in the screenshot)
- Transcend 2 GB (not marked as SDHC, but SD)
- Windows 7 32-bit (albeit with a somewhat an older card reader) and Windows XP 32-bit on an EliteBook 8730w