The Problem and Diagnosis
Some (unknown) combination of the following factors contributed to seeing this rendering error:
- Nvidia NVS300 graphics
- Nvidia driver version 126.96.36.19993 (signed on 10/16/2010)
- Windows 7 32-bit
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 version 14.0.6123.5001
- The "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" checkbox under Word Options is Unchecked (see screenshot below)
- A transparent/translucent watermark displaying the text "Draft"
- A style or directly-formatted text using the font
Times New Roman Bold (note that the name of the font itself contains the word "Bold"; this is not the same thing as using the font named "Times New Roman" and formatting it with the Bold property)
The problem is related to the graphics rendering subsystem, because disabling hardware accelerated graphics in Word resolves the problem. We also know that the problem is related to the interaction of the rendering changes that occur when transparent objects (such as a "Draft" watermark) are placed on the page, and the rendering that occurs for the
Times New Roman Bold font.
Mitigations and Solutions
- Disable hardware graphics acceleration. However, this only resolves the problem on the computer where you've disabled hardware graphics. Other PCs with a similar configuration will experience the problem unless they, too, disable hardware graphics.
To do that, check the checkbox circled in red, here:
- Don't use the
Times New Roman Bold font. Instead, use regular
Times New Roman font, and set the Bold property.