Since yesterday my Windows XP install is stuck on the loading screen (XP logo and "progress bar" constantly moving). I waited more than one hour but nothing more happened.
Before this problem occured I didn't install anything new (no driver, no update...), just read some blogs.
What I did :
- restored to a previous restore point (successfully). No change. I don't know why but I had only one restore point.
- tried to boot with "last known good configuration". Problem remains.
- the computer boots in safe mode, so I did that and used msconfig to try different boot modes. Each time I restarted, the problem remained. I even tried the "load almost nothing" option :).
- edited BIOS config to reset to default values.
- back in safe mode : installed Ccleaner and Spybot, ran both. Nothing important detected.
- ran a full system virus scan (antivir)
- performed chkdsk with all option checked on all my hard drives.
Nothing on that worked so I went one step further :
- used windows XP install CD to load the Recovery Console.
- Performed another chkdsk /R
- performed a fixboot
- performed a fixmbr (I know it has nothing to do with it as windows started to load, but I was desperate ^^)
Since I did the "fixboot", the safe mode is also stuck (after the list of drivers loaded, it displays a black screen with only a "underscore" blinking and... nothing more happens).
Now I'm there : can't boot in normal mode, can't boot in Safe mode anymore. Any suggestion is welcome.
Moreover, if someone knows if it's possible to read the windows event log under the recovery console, I'm also interested.