Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a file with a very long filename (in excess of the 255 char limit) copied onto a FAT32 ubs stick from a power mac.

How can I rename it to be less the 255 chars?

share|improve this question

I realised in the end that Macs have the same limit so it had to be created somehow. I renamed the containing directory to a single letter and then dragged the directory to the root of the drive. I could then edit the filenames using windows explorer. Job done.

share|improve this answer

Haven't tested it myself, but read that this little program should do the trick:

share|improve this answer
Thx. I wasn't really up for spending $30 until I had no other option. Eventually I figured it out. – DangerMouse Oct 21 '12 at 10:00

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .