Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I know that there are several generations of touch-screen technology out there. There is the ancient resistive touch, pre win7 era capacitive, pre win7 era multitouch capacitive, and win7 compliant multitouch capacitive. However Win8 requires yet another new generation of hardware. I have been unable to find any Windows 8 compatible multi-touch capacitive monitors that will work with a regular desktop PC. The use (primary application) would be for development and test of multi-touch windows applications.

I'm not asking if any all-in-one PCs that support windows 8 multi-touch exist, for those are a different class of device, nor devices like Surface. I want to know if there is such a thing as a monitor that is standalone that will run with a regular developer mini-tower PC, that supports multi-touch in windows 8.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Canadian Luke, nhinkle Oct 19 '12 at 15:25

Questions on Super User are expected to relate to computer software or computer hardware within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I was looking for one myself. It seems Windows 8 was designed for no bezel on the monitor. If your finger can't easily slide completely off the screen, some gestures are difficult or even impossible. – Tanner Faulkner Oct 19 '12 at 14:44
Sample Win7-monitor that's close, but no Win8 support. – Warren P Oct 19 '12 at 14:49
I would like to convert to community wiki but don't see how to do it here. – Warren P Oct 19 '12 at 15:19
@WarrenP I saw your flag requesting CW, but it looks like this question is off-topic in the first place. Shopping recommendations are not allowed, as per our FAQ. – nhinkle Oct 19 '12 at 15:26
As per that link, asking the question as a technical question, not as a "which one should I buy?" is ON topic as per the faq. This is a technical questiona bout the availability of multi-touch. So far, the answer is there are zero shipping multitouch Win8 monitors. I think that's a major, important fair PC hardware question. Otherwise, all questions comparing hardware, or asking of certain hardware exists would be "shopping", which seems far too broad. – Warren P Oct 31 '12 at 2:33

23" Acer T232HL

27" Acer T272HL (Not shipping/or on Acer site yet)

27" Planar PCT2785 (Will ship after December 6th, 2012)

share|improve this answer
Will add more as I find them. – h0tw1r3 Oct 19 '12 at 14:49
Maybe this should be CW'd? – Tanner Faulkner Oct 19 '12 at 15:08
how do I do that? I don't see any button to make it a community wiki. I found one finally (two actually), from Acer. h0twir3 please add this one:… – Warren P Oct 19 '12 at 15:17

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .