Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There was a keyboard macro I saw once for writing HTML (and perhaps XML), so that if you typed something like:

it would turn that into something like:

<a class="foo" id="bar">

I think it was an Emacs package, but it may have been for Textmate or some other editor. (I don't think it was a command-line utility: I know about HAML, which is neat, but that's not it. The expansion happened right away, not after running a command.)

Can anyone find this for me? Typing in variations and combinations of "emacs", "macro", and "html" in google just isn't working very well for me today. Thanks!

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Sounds like Zen Coding, which uses CSS-style shorthand for writing HTML, and is available as a plug-in for various text editors.

See the official site for more information and downloads.

share|improve this answer
That's the one! Thanks! – Ken Oct 22 '12 at 18:43

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.