I have a Samsung RV511 laptop, and recently my screen broke. I connected an external screen and it works fine, but only after Windows starts.
I want to be able to use the external screen right from boot, in order to set the BIOS to boot from DVD, and to then install a different OS and also format the hard drive. Right now I can only use the screen when Windows loads.
What I've tried:
- I've tried opening up the laptop and disconnecting the display to make it only find the external and use the VGA as default -- didn't work.
- I've tried using the Fn+key combo in BIOS to connect external display - nothing
I've been looking around for ways to change boot sequence without entering BIOS, but it doesn't look like it's possible.
- A way to change boot sequence without entering BIOS?
- Someone with the same brand/similar model to help me blindly keystroke the correct arrows/F5/F6 buttons while in BIOS mode to change boot sequence?
- A way to force the external display to work from boot, through modifying the internal connections (I have no problem taking the laptop apart if needed, please no soldering though), through BIOS or program?
Also, if I change boot sequence without accessing external screen, would the Ubuntu 12.1 installation sequence attempt to use the external screen or would I only be able to use it after Linux is installed and running?
I'd really appreciate help, I can't afford to fix the screen for a few months from now, and I'd really like to make my computer come back to decent performance! Thanks in advance!