Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Currently I have Word 2010 and Word 2013 Preview (and OpenOffice 3, LibreOffice + LyX 2) installed.

And I want to do this: I have long document full of content that is sadly broken down by paragraphs, while I need/want to have no paragraphs, but the content in one line each, separated by spaces or commas.

Now I found out that Word has "Special characters" that I can set as a variable in the "Find and Replace" options, but it just doesn't work! I also tried to put a wildcard ("^?") in front of the "^v", but it doesn't work either. It doesn't find a single paragraph break. Please see this screenshot, this is the config I tried: MS Word Search and Replace

The result should simply look like e.g. this: "IMF (Hg.) 2003 – Annex A Anzahl Seiten: 2"

According to Microsoft it should just work.

If I could achieve this in OpenOffice or LibreOffice I would be fine with that too of course!

But I checked both and couldn't even find such an option in their "Search and Replace" menu.

What can I do to solve this problem?

Please forgive me if I should've chosen the wrong terms, as you can see my MS Word is in German.

share|improve this question

Replace all ^p with a simple space (i.e. " " without the quotes).

If any line breaks remain, also replace all ^l (that's a lower-case L) with a single space.

Note: If your paragraphs have multiple blank lines in between, you might want to first replace ^p^p with a single ^p repeatedly till no more substitution is possible, then replace the single ^p instances that remain with spaces as mentioned above.

share|improve this answer
Right, ^p stands for an actual paragraph break, whereas ^v stands for the printable character “¶” U+00B6 PILCROW SIGN, which is what Word shows at paragraph breaks in a special mode (“Show all”) and could be used as text character too (but isn’t here). The Search and Replace functionality of Word is rather confusing here. – Jukka K. Korpela Oct 28 '12 at 6:00

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .