Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Windows 8 has got a new handy context menu which is invoked by pressing Windows + X or by right-clicking the lower-left corner of the desktop:

Win8 context menu

Strangely enough, it's practically impossible to find any official documentation about it or even what it's called. A couple of third-party sites mention this menu as Win + X menu or Windows Tool Menu, but googling these terms leads to nothing.

What's this menu called? Is there any official info on this feature?

share|improve this question
Scott Hanselman calls it "Power User or Administrative Tools":… – user3463 Oct 28 '12 at 18:35
I think Microsoft intentionally did not name it since they want to wipe out all references to the old "start menu" Win+X was not available in early pre-release versions of W8, I think they added it to RC/RTM versions to quell the complaints of W8 not having a start menu or an option to enable one. – Moab Oct 28 '12 at 21:09

It's called "Quick Access Menu(QAM)" however I have not any official source for this but on the Social Technet someone put the question with this name.

Also I have seen this name in Tweak with Viahal's blog.

share|improve this answer
Yes, I saw that too, but he actually explains why he calls it that: "I personally prefer to call it "Quick Access Menu" similar to Quick Access Toolbar present in Ribbon UI of Windows 8 Explorer or Microsoft Office 2010." link – Vladimir Sinenko Oct 28 '12 at 19:02
QAT official link. However you can call it that too. – avirk Oct 28 '12 at 19:05
@avirk How can you call it QAM, there is Nothing officially released by Microsoft to name this Win+X context menu, other than it is a context menu called by the combo keystroke. It is just some name coined by a internet blogger. The question specifically asks for "official" Name and Documentation, and there is None. – Moab Oct 28 '12 at 21:18
@Moab I have given link of Technet where the user called it the same that's why I put it as an answer, also I have cleared in my answer that there is no official source I had. – avirk Oct 29 '12 at 1:39
@avirk "New Windows 8 context menu: official name and documentation?" you did not answer the question, a user on technet or a blogger is not official, nor is there any official documentation. Normally you give great answers, this is not one of them. – Moab Oct 29 '12 at 2:56

Nothing yet, and personally I don't think it's necessary to give this a name, since it's nothing special

share|improve this answer
I disagree that it's nothing special, since it is a shortcut to many power user tools in one place. – user3463 Oct 28 '12 at 18:36
is there any other context menu that gets its own name? – Chin Oct 28 '12 at 18:45
I'm disagreeing with the second part of your answer, not the first. That's what got you the downvote. – user3463 Oct 28 '12 at 18:46
Nah I don't care about the downvote. My point is, if something gets a name other than an app or a window, it should be an important or special feature by itself. No context menu ever get a name because of that. – Chin Oct 28 '12 at 18:54
@Chin +1, there is no "official" name given by Microsoft for Win+X, so yours is the best answer, I agree it is "nothing special" and is called a context menu, a context menu is a context menu, Microsoft has never given names to different context menus. – Moab Oct 28 '12 at 21:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.