Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Windows 8 has got a new handy context menu which is invoked by pressing Windows + X or by right-clicking the lower-left corner of the desktop:

Win8 context menu

Strangely enough, it's practically impossible to find any official documentation about it or even what it's called. A couple of third-party sites mention this menu as Win + X menu or Windows Tool Menu, but googling these terms leads to nothing.

What's this menu called? Is there any official info on this feature?

share|improve this question
Scott Hanselman calls it "Power User or Administrative Tools":… – user3463 Oct 28 '12 at 18:35
I think Microsoft intentionally did not name it since they want to wipe out all references to the old "start menu" Win+X was not available in early pre-release versions of W8, I think they added it to RC/RTM versions to quell the complaints of W8 not having a start menu or an option to enable one. – Moab Oct 28 '12 at 21:09

It's called "Quick Access Menu(QAM)" however I have not any official source for this but on the Social Technet someone put the question with this name.

Also I have seen this name in Tweak with Viahal's blog.

share|improve this answer
Yes, I saw that too, but he actually explains why he calls it that: "I personally prefer to call it "Quick Access Menu" similar to Quick Access Toolbar present in Ribbon UI of Windows 8 Explorer or Microsoft Office 2010." link – Vladimir Sinenko Oct 28 '12 at 19:02
QAT official link. However you can call it that too. – avirk Oct 28 '12 at 19:05
@avirk How can you call it QAM, there is Nothing officially released by Microsoft to name this Win+X context menu, other than it is a context menu called by the combo keystroke. It is just some name coined by a internet blogger. The question specifically asks for "official" Name and Documentation, and there is None. – Moab Oct 28 '12 at 21:18
@Moab I have given link of Technet where the user called it the same that's why I put it as an answer, also I have cleared in my answer that there is no official source I had. – avirk Oct 29 '12 at 1:39
@avirk "New Windows 8 context menu: official name and documentation?" you did not answer the question, a user on technet or a blogger is not official, nor is there any official documentation. Normally you give great answers, this is not one of them. – Moab Oct 29 '12 at 2:56

Nothing yet, and personally I don't think it's necessary to give this a name, since it's nothing special

share|improve this answer
I disagree that it's nothing special, since it is a shortcut to many power user tools in one place. – user3463 Oct 28 '12 at 18:36
is there any other context menu that gets its own name? – Chin Oct 28 '12 at 18:45
I'm disagreeing with the second part of your answer, not the first. That's what got you the downvote. – user3463 Oct 28 '12 at 18:46
Nah I don't care about the downvote. My point is, if something gets a name other than an app or a window, it should be an important or special feature by itself. No context menu ever get a name because of that. – Chin Oct 28 '12 at 18:54
@Chin +1, there is no "official" name given by Microsoft for Win+X, so yours is the best answer, I agree it is "nothing special" and is called a context menu, a context menu is a context menu, Microsoft has never given names to different context menus. – Moab Oct 28 '12 at 21:14

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .