I have a Core 2 Extreme processor I received from a friend and have set up an XBMC box using it. However, I constantly get audio static whenever playing any music or videos. Here is a video of the sound:
I have tried replacing everything short of the case and the processor, including cables, audio interfaces, operating systems, ram, etc, leading me to think it might be either the case shorting out the motherboards I have tried or a faulty processor.
Is it possible for a faulty processor to cause audio static/noise?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Edit - Here's a list of things I have tried:
- Reinstalling OS
- Installing/upgrading/repairing PulseAudio/Alsa
- Installing alternate OSes, straight Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Arch, Mint, Windows 7
- Switching audio from the external card to internal Optical, audio out through HDMI, audio out through headphones
- Different ports on receiver (my main desktop sounds fine on the same sound system)
- Different optical cables
- Unplugging everything unnecessary from the motherboard (1 HD, 1 Stick of Ram, 1 Keyboard)
- Swapping out ram
- Swapping out the motherboard
- Replacing the Graphics Card (was replaced due to fan being noisy, not specifically for this problem)
- Different harddrives
- Swapping power supply
- Disabling onboard audio
- Switching Power Cable
- Plugging in through surge protector
- Plugging into different outlet on separate circuit