Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Yesterday I completed Windows 8 download through Upgrade Assistant which took me ~14 hours. The download was completed in 2 parts, first 97% of it and the second the remaining 3% of it got completed yesterday evening.

But at the end of the download it showed an error that it cannot complete installation and there was no option to check for any errors. I had to press Quit.

When I started the Upgrade Assistant once again it started re-downloading from scratch. I very well know it happens because of not pressing the Pause button and quitting it straight away but that's not my question.

I used Recuva today to recover my old downloaded Windows 8 installation files, but I couldn't find them there. I got results of the files that I had downloaded 2 weeks ago, but not of the files that were automatically erased yesterday only.

Why did it happen?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Redownload the Upgrade Assistant. There's a chance that the first download was corrupt.

share|improve this answer
Yeah I did that only. Problem solved and have installed Windows 8! :D – thetechfreak Nov 3 '12 at 2:35
@thetechfreak Please mark as accepted. :) – mcandre Nov 5 '12 at 15:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.