Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there an official name for the apps that are found in Windows Store? They were previously called Metro-Style apps. But now it seems they are being called Modern UI apps or Windows Store apps.

share|improve this question
We call them Windows Store apps. – bwDraco Mar 6 at 1:05
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Yes, there is, according to this link

Soma Somasegar (vice president of Microsoft's development software division) officially confirmed that "Windows Store apps" would be the official term for the apps

the official term for the apps is Windows Store apps

share|improve this answer
I think it's very obvious where Microsoft is heading with the OS if they are naming the UI-style "store"... :P – Shaamaan Oct 30 '12 at 8:52
A walled garden to enjoy and spend all your money in, just like Apple, oh joy, what whores. – Moab Oct 30 '12 at 17:55

They are called "Windows Store Apps" – nothing very fancy.

share|improve this answer

The official term is "Windows Store App" or "Modern UI App".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.