Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the correct general term for the network connection on mobile devices that can connect to networks via telecoms links?

Question asked "my device is not connecting to my local web server here".

My response "Are you using Wifi or XXXX to to connect?"

Where XXXX is the network connection through the phone system - e.g. 3g, gprs, etc...

What is the general term encompassing term for XXXX please?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Hennes, soandos, Journeyman Geek, Diogo, ChrisF Nov 4 '12 at 11:19

Questions on Super User are expected to relate to computer software or computer hardware within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Why is this too localised? – Preet Sangha Nov 3 '12 at 22:20

I think you are looking for mobile internet.

As opposed to Wifi and tethering.

share|improve this answer

Generically, this often seems to be referred to as a "data" connection. Though, of course, that doesn't really make much sense as WiFi is also a "data" connection.

It really just differentiates between voice and data over the mobile wireless network.

Hence, many phones offer to turn off "data connections" when roaming as this is generally very expensive.

share|improve this answer

I'd call it packet data or cellular. The former seems more popular in Europe, whereas the latter term seems to be more common in the US, hence product names like iPad 'WiFi + Cellular'.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .