Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a shortcut or an easy way to make a window fill the whole screen, but without maximizing it.

Right now, I do this by moving the window in the top left corner of the screen then dragging the sides to make it fit the whole screen, but it's a bit tedious when it needs to be done several times.

Is there any easy way to do this in Windows 7?

share|improve this question
what is wrong with maximize? Did you try F11 key – Moab Nov 4 '12 at 7:25
There's a reason why I'm asking this but would be too long to detail here. Obviously I know about the maximize button, F11 and so on... – this.lau_ Nov 4 '12 at 7:55
@Laurent: here is a lot of space, please explain the difference in your use-case between the maximization button (and i don't mean fullscreen-f11) and what you are trying to achieve. – akira Nov 4 '12 at 8:28
@akira, I honestly don't know how to explain it in simple words. Basically, it involves Google Chrome, Winamp, windows that are always on top, the title bar, Google Chrome tabs and the fact that Chrome in "Maximize" mode doesn't behave like a standard window. So I need to manually resize the window instead of clicking Maximize. – this.lau_ Nov 4 '12 at 8:37
in which way does chrome does not behave like a normal application when a users maximizes it (again: i do not speak about "fullscreen")? – akira Nov 4 '12 at 10:02
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Something like Sizer might be what you're looking for:

1 2 3 4

share|improve this answer
Exactly what I needed, and it works great. Thanks a lot! – this.lau_ Nov 5 '12 at 3:53

You can drag the window to left side of the screen (Win + left arrow) to fill the left half of the screen and then drag just the one remaining side of the window to the other side of the screen.

share|improve this answer

No it is not possible unless you use your mouse. You can maximize it by pressing F11 .

share|improve this answer
<kbd>f11</kbd> is usually used to FULLSCREEN a window. maximization is to use the available space, minus the toolbar for example. – akira Nov 4 '12 at 8:29

Windows key + up arrow will maximize it if it isn't already.

share|improve this answer

Try dragging the title bar straight up to the top of the screen. Drag it down to return to the previous size.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .