Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My broadband internet connection goes from a cable to a combo switch/router/wlan supplied by the phone company that has 4 outgoing ethernet ports. I have two of these connected directly to PCs and it works fine.

One of the ethernet cables is very long and runs down to the office PC.

I now want to setup a third machine located in the office.

The plan is to purchase a Cisco SD2008T, 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch for the office, and two more short ethernet cables.

I will connect the two office machines to the new switch and then connect this switch with a long cable to the main router/switch.

My question is do I need a crossover ethernet cable to connect the two switches, or will the existing long straight ethernet cable work fine?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The long, straight cable will work fine. All modern switches have auto-MDI/X.

Automatic MDI/MDI-X cable detection adjusts for different cable types currently in use on your network. - page for SD2008T

You should never use crossover cables with Gigabit ports unless you know exactly what you're doing.

share|improve this answer

You only need a Crossover Cable to connect two PCs directly without a switch in between. And most NICs don't even need that anymore. For you switch just use a standard LAN cable. Unless "very long" does not mean more than 100 metres you should be good there as well.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.