Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a wireless broadband (WiMax) and I want to move my computer from where the IDU (In Door Unit) is to another location. So my plan is to get a longer ethernet cable from the IDU to the computer and run the cable through the ceiling..

I plan on sending my wife to the shops to get the cable but I need to know if it is a cross-over cable or not. Does anyone know the answer?

share|improve this question
Thanks for accepting my answer, however, what is an in door unit? I have never heard this term before. –  William Hilsum Oct 3 '09 at 13:10
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 0 down vote accepted

In Door Unit? :S

Anyway... If the router has more than one port on it, You only need a standard ethernet cable. A router typically has DHCP (along with many other items) and will work fine on its own.

If it has only one ethernet port , there is no 100% way to know, but if it is called router, it most likely will be capable of using a standard cable.

(I believe but not 100% sure) A quick way to check is to look at your IP settings, if you have a standard (10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x) it uses ethernet. If you have 169.x.x.x (auto-configured), there is a chance it could be cross over as there is no infrastructure. If you have manual settings, there is not really any way of knowing.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.