Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an Acer Aspire5250 that I've had for almost a year. Recently, it got a crack above one of the USB ports. Is there any cost effective way to repair this or is this something I'm just going to have to live with?

Laptop Crack

share|improve this question
Its plastic, there isn't much you can do about it, you will have to live with it. I would clean your keyboard, that thing is filthy, no offense. – Ramhound Nov 13 '12 at 3:23
Haha, no offense taken. Yes, some compressed air may be needed. – Christopher Chipps Nov 13 '12 at 3:25
Its the back panel of LCD right? – avirk Nov 13 '12 at 3:25
I have only idea in my mind just melt down some black plastic and stick it carefully on it. I have done it on my laptop's LCD back panel. Otherwise the crack will spread more. – avirk Nov 13 '12 at 3:30
It can be glued. Take it to a hobby shop and ask them to give you the best glue for the task. Then maybe go to a hardware store and pick up a small bar clamp to hold it together while the glue sets. Probably you'll want to glue a piece of sheet plastic over the area -- maybe some thin sheet acrylic. – Daniel R Hicks Nov 13 '12 at 3:34
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Where there is a will there is a way!

enter image description here

  • Drill a small hole (1/8th inch) at the very end of the crack to prevent further expansion of the crack, then fill the crack with your favorite high quality epoxy mix and let dry for 24-48 hours, grind/trim/carve/sand it and touch up paint to match, done.
share|improve this answer
Epoxy, exactly what I was going to suggest. Good old quick-dry Araldite is my preferred mix. – Mark Henderson Nov 13 '12 at 4:32
@MarkHenderson good ol epoxy! There is a new flexible epoxy out, not cheap but awesome, G-Flex – Moab Nov 13 '12 at 4:58

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .