I have no computer with OS/X. Hopefully someone else can answer that. But for the windows 7 system:
- Set the resolution to what is native for your LCD. (Non native resolutions usually yields a fuzzy picture. And that is harder to read).
- Then right click on an empty place of the desktop.
- Select the option "screen resolution"
- A new window will open. Near the bottom is a "Make text and other items larger of smaller". Select that.
- A new window will open. Select "Larger - 150%" and click OK. You will need to reboot.
This should make everything on your display 1½ times as large, yet keep the sharpness of the LCD.
If that is still too small, then use the option "Set custum text size (DPI)" on the left of the third screen.
All decently written programs will work just fine with this. Sadly some are not well well written and/or do not adhere to the standards for windows programs. Those might show text outside windows.