Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How to replace windows blink cursor shape with some other?

Example: I want to change it to brief cursor shape (which is type of blinking cursor which blink horizontal not vertical as is default in windows), that look like cursor in cmd.

OS: Windows 7

share|improve this question
Do you mean in cmd.exe? – Journeyman Geek Nov 18 '12 at 11:24
@JourneymanGeek yes like in cmd.exe – tonni Nov 18 '12 at 11:25
Use a a different console? – martineau Nov 18 '12 at 14:28
@martineau I need to change blink cursor in all windows not only in one program – tonni Nov 18 '12 at 20:46
I see you asked this over in StackOverflow as well. If at all this is possible (and I'm not sure it is), you'd probably require a program that runs constantly in the background. All Windows allows by default is changing the cursor's thickness via Ease of Access Center (type "Optimize visual display" in the Start Menu search box). – Karan Nov 19 '12 at 1:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.