I want to let my Windows coworkers on our domain access some public files on my Mac without entering any credentials. The Mac is on the network, but not on the domain (at least I believe so, I have never understood what a domain is).
I managed to share files but Windows users are asked for a login/password to access them.
Here is what I did:
- I activated file sharing, including the SMB option for my account.
- I added the directory ("common_files") to be shared in the "Shared folders" pane
- I made sure "everybody" has read access to that directory
- I made sure Guest file sharing is activated in the "Sharing" system preference pane.
- I made sure guest login is activated in the "accounts" system preference pane.
I checked that when entering my Mac account login/password, I can access the said directory. No issue. To do so, from Windows, I type the "URI":
So everything works, except the guest-access part.