Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

enter image description here

This comic is funny, changing everything from LTR (Left to Right) to RTL (Right to Left). The U+202e part is what I would like to know how to do. Is this a keyboard command? A unicode character to type? A key combination?

I understand it probably doesn't work on all applications, but it seems universal enough that XKCD was able to make a comic out of it

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by KronoS, Diogo, 8088, CharlieRB, Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007 Nov 21 '12 at 20:04

Questions on Super User are expected to relate to computer software or computer hardware within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Normally I would vote something like that that is easily researched down, but since it's XKCD - you're safe (at least on my end)! –  nerdwaller Nov 21 '12 at 18:53
+1; I actually came here from that xkcd. :P –  The Guy with The Hat Mar 6 at 1:35

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

It's the unicode Right-To-Left Override.


As far as where it works, it's usually initiated in a program - not your keyboard command or anything of that nature. There are some examples of use in the link, HTML, C++, Python, Java, etc.

If you want to set it in windows (source in above source):

Alas, this appears to require a registry setting. It was already set on my computer, but some readers report that this method didn't work for them, and this is probably why. If you don't know what the registry is, please don't try this. Under HKEY_Current_User/Control Panel/Input Method, set EnableHexNumpad to "1". If you have to add it, set the type to be REG_SZ.

share|improve this answer
Can't find a SIMPLE way to do it in Windows without changing keyboard layout :( But good link and source –  Canadian Luke Nov 21 '12 at 18:54
charmap will allow you to copy/paste it to clipboard for easy insertion –  Sean Cheshire Nov 21 '12 at 19:02
@Luke Did you click the link on the source page for "How to type in unicode in MS"? Updated my reply with a snippet. –  nerdwaller Nov 21 '12 at 19:05
@nerdwaller I clicked the link, and tried the <kbd>Alt</kbd>+<kbd>+202E</kbd> and the <kbd>Alt</kbd>+<kbd>08238</kbd>, but to no avail. I need to do the registry hack, I see –  Canadian Luke Nov 21 '12 at 19:37

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.