I need console based text editor for writing both source codes and human readable texts such as emails. I need it to be user friendly. It mean for me:
- You can use it the same way as the notepad or gedit.
- You can use mouse there.
- If you need your mother of girlfriend or somebody to edit your text they will know what to do, they will not realize it is a console and will have only a feeling it is something like a notepad.
- copy, paste, undo works as usual with usual key combinations (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-Z).
- shift and arrows works as usual. They select the text.
And when I return to the computer I want to use the text editor for programming. I expect:
- Syntax highliting
- auto indenting
- replacing spaces with tabs
- keyboard shortcuts for compiling
- possibility to configure it to use a debugger
- autocompletions for c#, java, c++ and other languages
- other things I expect from IDE's.
I was working and configuring vim for a few years. But It never fulfilled all of my expectations (but it almost did).
I thing I could get vim configured perfectly if I had few more weeks time for configurating it. Unfortunately I cannot afford to be configuring vim forever.
Is there other alternative? Hopefully some editor I once set up and it will works forever? What do you use? I often hear people are using emacs. Is it worth learning?