Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In my apartment, the main circuit breaker has a very low amperage limit of 5A (220V), with a maximum power limit of 1300W. Therefore, about 75% of the time I plug in my PC power plug, the inrush current of the power supply always trip the breaker. Obviously this is very annoying (albeit I only unplug my PC when doing maintenances).

I know, better power supply unit has better inrush current protection, but I believe my current power supply is decent enough (a Seasonic M12-II 520W) and the problem lies in the low amperage of my apartment's MCB. However, I cannot change that unit to a higher rated one due to local regulations (it's sealed and breaking the seals is breaking the laws). So, is there any solution for this problem? Will using something like a UPS works?

share|improve this question
Your entire apartment is limit to 1,100VA? (5 * 220 = 1,100) Honestly, I'd say you don't have sufficient electrical capacity to run a typical desktop. – David Schwartz Nov 26 '12 at 7:54
No, it's just for my room. Each room have different MCB. – Furuno Nov 26 '12 at 9:47
Than bring a lengthy cord from another room. Plug your monitor in one room, PC in another. I would although suggest adding a capacitor to power plug, but that requires skills. – Barafu Albino Nov 28 '12 at 7:55

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.