Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm wiring up an office with one available Ethernet wall jack. The jack currently services a VOIP phone that is powered over the Ethernet cord and has no normal plug. I need to set up a small network behind a (non-POE) router to be running off the same jack, but if I plug the router into the wall jack then the VOIP phone line can't be powered through the router's ethernet out jacks.

The only other switches and hubs I have available are all non-POE. I'd like to find the most cost efficient way to wire both of these devices into the network. Most of the POE-enabled switches I see on the market have 8+ jacks, which is overkill for connecting a single device.

I've seen a few smaller POE hubs and splitters on the market, but I don't know if these will work in this situation. What is the best device to install given these parameters?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007, 8088, Nifle, BBlake, CharlieRB Nov 30 '12 at 12:53

Questions on Super User are expected to relate to computer software or computer hardware within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

You can get AC->POE adapters that add power to a single Ethernet line to power a single POE device.

They are known as POE injectors, and several manufacturers make them.

share|improve this answer
I did run across those, and they seem like the best option (although needing to wire up another power cord is an annoyance). Do you know if they make basic 4-port hubs that can pass-through PoE from the wall jack? It would be much easier to just put one of those between the router and the jack. – MarathonStudios Nov 30 '12 at 6:26

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .