Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How to Search for Text Field in a Page with Firefox? What do I put in the find bar?

share|improve this question
What do you mean exactly? A certain text field? Any text field? Can you give a concrete example please? – slhck Dec 2 '12 at 11:47
I mean searching for a text input area. The one where you type stuff in. – Jane Darling Dec 3 '12 at 14:47
Any specific one? Or just the first one you can find? Please, as I've already asked, give us a concrete example and edit your question. – slhck Dec 3 '12 at 14:48
OK, see that search bar over there on the top right of the site. Imagine two, three of that hidden in a wall of text on a website. How do I search for them with firefox? – Jane Darling Dec 3 '12 at 16:26
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The browser's Search box cannot be used to find HTML elements (such as <input type="text">). Instead you can use the Fox Input add-on for Firefox:

This extension provides a hotkey to focus on the input field on a webpage. The default hotkeys are Alt-I (go to the next text input field) and Alt-J (go to the previous one), but you can change them in the setting window.


share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.