Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What kind of connection is this?

I just saw this connection show up in my wireless network list in Windows 8.

share|improve this question
It resembles the older Ad-Hoc icon, which is a network built over non-existing infrastructues.. – nerdwaller Dec 3 '12 at 15:30
up vote 2 down vote accepted

It's about the ad-hoc wireless connections:

A wireless ad hoc network is a decentralized type of wireless network. The network is ad hoc because it does not rely on a preexisting infrastructure, such as routers in wired networks or access points in managed (infrastructure) wireless networks. Instead, each node participates in routing by forwarding data for other nodes, and so the determination of which nodes forward data is made dynamically based on the network connectivity. In addition to the classic routing, ad hoc networks can use flooding for forwarding the data.

share|improve this answer

Yeah basically its an ad-hoc network. What that means is that you are directly connected to someones PC via wireless, as opposed to the ordinary method where you would both connect to a Wireless Access Point.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .