Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a dell d630 laptop and I recently bought a Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard 1.0a. When I looked over my computer for a place to plug the cord in, however, I couldn't find one. The end of the cord has a circle of dots with a small plastic rectangle in the middle. Do most computers have a place to put this kind of cord, or is it outdated or something? Is there anything I can do to get the keyboard to work? Is there some kind of cord I can buy to make this work with a USB port?

share|improve this question
now i feel old :( – Sirex Dec 3 '12 at 23:38
up vote 5 down vote accepted

That type of cord is called a PS/2 cord and yes, it has been superseded by USB.
You can find an adapter at any electronics store, or online. (You're looking for a "PS/2 to USB adapter")

share|improve this answer

Sounds like a PS/2 connector. PS/2-keyboards are not outdated, as they are still widely used for their performance benefits, e.g. full n-key rollover, but have been superseded by USB as a de facto standard, largely in favour of compatibility. Compatibility is still good enough that 'dumb' PS/2-USB-adapters for keyboards almost always work for keyboards and mice. PS/2-USB-adapter

share|improve this answer
Almost always. This only works if the keyboard 'speaks' both USB and PS/2 and it auto detects when you use such a plug. What you really want is an active converter, or a Lattitude D series dockingstation. – Hennes Dec 3 '12 at 23:47
Have had issues with some adapters not working in the past. Microsoft used to ship an adapter with Keyboards and mice. Third party ones were hit and miss – Dave M Dec 3 '12 at 23:54

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.