Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Hi all and thanks in advance. I'll start with some background.

I live in an apartment which provides internet service included in the rent. They use company called pavlov for the internet http://pavlovmedia.net/

wireless seems to be working fine but wired connection is at least %30 faster.

Ethernet, cat5 outlet is built in the wall, and there is only 1 outlet in each room.

I would like to take this 1 outlet coming out the wall and multiply it into 4 wires, for desktop, playstation, tv and laptop without loosing any internet bandwidth.

i have absolutely no idea weather this line is coming from a switch or a router but i have been researching Ethernet splitter, routers, switches, hubs and haven't found a solid answer. what is the best solution for me?

thank you once again!

EDIT: ok this picture cleared few things http://www.home-network-help.com/images/home-network-expanded.jpg

so seems that an ethernet switch is to ethernet as a USB hub is to USB but with packet inspection.

what is really 10/100Mbps Network Switch and what is the cap?

share|improve this question
You just need to plug a switch into the wall socket, and plug everything else into the switch (netgear do a 5 port switch). Assuming they haven't locked it down to an IP per outlet somehow, this is normal practice. –  Paul Dec 5 '12 at 4:48
thank you Paul. i believe you are talking about tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/… –  Burteçin 'Turk' Sapta Dec 5 '12 at 4:50

2 Answers 2

You need something like this, it's an ethernet switch, it's basicly a more sofisticated hub. 10/100Mbit if you don't have faster internet. No need for setting up, just plug and play. http://amzn.com/B00002EQCWenter image description here

But talk to your provider first and as for possibility of using this one, they maybe blocking access only for one computer at a time.

share|improve this answer
If your provider allows multiple IP address, get a Switch as above. Otherwise, you need a router (more complex setup) –  cloneman Dec 5 '12 at 6:15

I would suggest you purchase a router and plug it to the port. A router has an advantage over a switch in this situation, if your ISP is blocking access to one computer at a time.

A router is probably almost as cheap as a switch these days and far more prevalent among consumer setups. A typical consumer router is actually a router + network switch + wireless access point. So if you already have a wifi router, you would likely be able to use it directly, since most routers should come with 4 ethernet slots as well.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.