Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I live right next to the sea and have a large window quite close to my computer setup which allows a lot of indirect sunlight to enter.

I'd like to buy or make a cover for my computer system. From visiting my usual mom & pop computer shop yesterday I got the impression these might not really exist any more.

If I make my own I need a material with these qualities;

  • Block or reduce ultraviolet light which can de-polymerize plastics (the sun here in Australia is much stronger than in the northern hemisphere).
  • Block salt-laden sea air which can oxidize USB and other connectors.
  • Not cause static electricity when covering or uncovering.
  • Keep dust off of course

My setup is a laptop plugged into a wide-screen LCD with a few external drives. So I think I'd want a largish sheet to flop over the whole desk.

Are such covers commonly sold these days? What material(s) should I look for which provides the listed attributes?

USB connectors of various ages showing differing degrees of oxidation or corrosion:
corroded USB connectors

share|improve this question
Glass shields against UV. That is one thing you do not have to worry about unless you open the window. – Hennes Dec 6 '12 at 22:59
Actually it's a very small room so I leave the window open with just a fly screen most of the time for fresh air unless it's raining or cold. – hippietrail Dec 6 '12 at 23:02
Not clear -- is this for the system while it's operating, or when it's powered off? If the latter I'd just make (or have my wife make) a "slip cover" for the system, using "outerwear" fabric of some sort. – Daniel R Hicks Dec 6 '12 at 23:20
Could you get a rugged water-tight box, cut a small hole (which you could then seal with some silicon) and have a USB hub in there that you only open when you need to (to protect your USB memory sticks), bigger devices could you get some rubber caps for the USB plugs so that [when they're not in use] the contacts are protected? USB sockets can also have rubber covers that you insert and remove as and when you need...? – Big Chris Dec 8 '15 at 15:48
You live next to the sea and your sitting inside playing on your computer? UV is an easy problem, just locate the computer out of direct sunlight. Salt air is a problem. A hermetically sealed enclosure, like BigChris describes, is really the direction you need to go except you having cooling issues. You could try to make silicone rubber (Sugru/Oogoo) "jackets" to seal exposed metal parts. Some military or industrial grade equipment may stand up better. Or the opposite approach: go cheap and disposable, and replace when needed. – fixer1234 Dec 8 '15 at 20:01

You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .