Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Occasionally I find the need to include an ellipsis in my writing. I could just use three periods, but that's bad typography. Is there a way to insert … just using the keyboard? Similar to how you can insert — by holding down Alt and pressing 0150 on the numberpad. Is there a similar combination for inserting an ellipsis?

share|improve this question
Just for reference: on Linux/X11 it is <Compose>, period, period. – Andrey Vihrov Dec 11 '12 at 9:09
Thank-you @AndreyVihrov – shea Dec 11 '12 at 10:38
up vote 16 down vote accepted

In Windows it's alt+0133 on the numberpad.

share|improve this answer
Thanks! Just what I was looking for. – shea Dec 11 '12 at 5:09

Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excell etc) :


(found by my pleasantly surprised cat)

share|improve this answer
I cannot reproduce this on win7 enterprise/word2013. I can recreate it with control-alt-. (and > and . are on the same physical key, but control + alt + Shift_. just rotaes my screen) – Hennes Mar 10 at 7:55
you are right, [Ctrl + Alt + .] is the correct shortcut – user564261 Mar 19 at 7:04

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .