Sign up ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Are there any PDF viewers (Windows, OS X, or Ubuntu) that enable you to see the page-relative pixel coordinates (x,y) of your cursor? I know Photoshop can do this, but I'm looking for something light-weight and cheap (or free).

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

I don't know about PDF readers specifically.

However a couple of general solutions:

Windows: autohotkey has tools for pulling window relative coordinates so one just needs to negate toolbars etc.

Linux: On X11 systems a tool called Xev is available that displays all X11 events including cursor movement and it can be told to be limited to a particular window ID gained via xwininfo.

share|improve this answer
I guess the problem with those solutions is that it is not very robust. If I write a tool to help extract that info, other people would need the same settings as me to use it. – Wesley Tansey Dec 12 '12 at 20:32
Depends, without knowing more of exactly what you want the data for? – ewanm89 Dec 13 '12 at 0:13
I have several PDFs that are just image scans of forms. I have all the data necessary to auto-complete the forms, but I need to first find the pixel location of each field so that my autocomplete app knows where to write the data. Right now, it's just trial and error which is slow and tedious. – Wesley Tansey Dec 14 '12 at 0:23
Are the fields are identical rectangle boxes other than the content in them? – ewanm89 Dec 14 '12 at 0:42
No, they're scattered all over the place and of varying sizes and shapes. Imagine a really long health insurance form. Hence, I need a tool to help me quickly identify and write down the bounding areas of each field. – Wesley Tansey Dec 15 '12 at 21:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.