Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My external hard drive fell on the floor. The exit on the hard drive where the USB wire is attached snapped off, so I can't get any power to it!

Do you know of any companies who receives broken external hard drives, and either repair it or collect the data on it over to another hard drive?

share|improve this question

closed as not constructive by Synetech, 8088, Siim K, ChrisF, Diogo Dec 13 '12 at 11:36

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Try googling for a hard drive data recovery/data recovery service (a couple possibilities showed up in my area when I did) – William Saunders Dec 13 '12 at 4:19

Assuming only the casing is damaged: You can open the external case and check which drive is inside. Then either

  1. Mount the drive in another computer (usually in a desktop)
  2. use an external drive dock (see image below)
  3. get a new external case.

Image of an external dock

Regardless of choice, first check the drive. The USB plug might not be the only thing which broke when it hit the floor.

share|improve this answer

I suppose the hard disk is still in working conditions. You can get a cheap hard disk casing (assuming your hard disk is 2.5") from Amazon or somewhere else. And even if it's a 3.5" hard disk, you can use with particular casing as well.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .